Kampus Kamp tourist camp was operated first by Julius and Edith Hougen at the intersection of Franklin and Lincoln Way before 1941. At the time, this was on the "outskirts" of Ames. The usual address was 3405 Lincoln Way, but because the business later added an "office" facing Franklin Avenue, sometimes the address would be listed as 101 North Franklin. H. Darrell Freel took over the ownership (perhaps in the early 1950s) and changed the name to Campus Court Motel. Joe L. Comp was the proprietor during the early 1960s. Melvin and Annabel Bell were owners 1968-1972. Ev. Cochrane, James Corrison, John Granquist, and Gary Thompson were owners 1973-1976.