Keeping History "Safe"

In November 2016, the Ames Historical Society celebrated 36 years of keeping Ames history safe. This photo from 2009 shows Dennis Wendell, Curator Emeritus, accepting one of the Society’s heaviest artifacts. This Mosler Safe was used in the 1912 Post Office building that resided on the southeast corner of Kellogg Avenue and 5th Street and was moved to our current Post Office when it was built a block to the north in 1936. Dennis has spent the last 15 years collecting Ames artifacts.