Photo ca. 1905
The Dinkey engine is ready to depart from its engine house at the east end of Main Street. Loughran Machine Shop is seen in the background. A portion of Duff Avenue is visible in the foreground. The steam-powered Ames and College Railroad began in 1891 to provide better transportation between downtown Ames and the growing Iowa State college. From the east end of Onondaga (Main Street) it travelled west down Fifth Street, over Squaw Creek and across central campus. In 1907, the steam service on Fifth Street was replaced by electric interurban cars on Main Street. Learn more about the Ames & College Railway Dinkey.