When Margaret Stanton, Iowa State’s first Dean of Women, died in July of 1895 her husband decided to donate a “chime of bells” in her memory. Prof E.W. Stanton had been at Iowa State for 50 years - as a member of the first class to graduate, then eventually as head of the Math Department, and as four times Acting President. His thought was to place the bells in the corner tower of Margaret Hall which proved not sturdy enough. When the contract to build the campanile was signed in July of 1897 it was decided the bells should go there. Two years later they arrived from Nottingham, England where they were cast.