Saint Cecelia School was established in 1925 on Lincoln Way across from what is now the DOT on the grounds where the Catholic Church and Convent were located. It was staffed by Sisters of Mercy from Cedar Rapids. Outstanding physical features were the sculptures created especially for the school by noted ISU artist, Christian Petersen.
In spite of an addition to the building by the 1960s, neither the school nor the church was large enough to serve the Catholic population of Ames. In the 1980s they relocated to 30th and Hoover. The Christian Petersen art works and the plaque from over the school door were moved to the new site.
The new Education Center today serves 182 students K-6 with 13 teachers.