Term as Mayor: 1899-1902
Profession: Construction superintendent and builder; real estate developer; owner of an implement and hardware business
- Took a leading role in city improvements
- Known as "friend of the poor"
- As City Councilman in 1894, instigated a newsworthy fistfight with Mayor Henry Wilson in front of the Union National Bank over cleaning up the open sewer on Kellogg south of the C&NW tracks
- New C&NW depot built in 1900, which greatly facilitated passenger traffic into and out of Ames
- New ordinances mandated that bicycles have lights and that bicyclists riding on sidewalks must dismount when meeting or passing a footman on the sidewalk