Lincoln Highway: Pope Cottage

Pope Cottage

Originally built as a residence in 1877 by Professor of Chemistry, Thomas Pope, Pope Cottage was used by the music department for classroom space since 1967 when this photo was taken.  It was located on the south side of Lincoln Way, at the intersection of Lincoln Way and Knoll Road, just east of Buchanan Hall.  Today there are mature trees and grass where Pope Cottage had once stood, because in 1981 the structure was moved to 3974 North Dakota where it still serves as a residence. (University Archives, Iowa State University)