Lincoln Highway: Interurban Shelter

The town-to-campus streetcar line first operated on the new loop line in October of 1916.  The 4th ward Civic Improvement Society raised $75 to build this waiting shelter shown on the east side of Sheldon Avenue just north of West Gate.  This view looks northeast.  (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)

This West Gate scene is also from about 1916 when the streetcar line was removed from central campus at ISC, and the loop around the campus developed.  Car 288 is shown as it heads north along the east side of Sheldon Avenue, stopped at a passenger shelter near the intersection of West Street.  State Gym is visible in the background.  (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)