Lincoln Highway: International House

click to enlarge

The Gables, 2184 Boone Street (later Lincoln Way) was built in 1880 by President Welch.  In 1898 it was sold to Dr. Stalker, head of Vet. Medicine.  Stalker and his sister, Sally Stalker Smith, were interested in international students, and willed the home to Iowa State to be used for foreign student housing.  It was known as International House from 1928-1963, when it was razed to make way for Buchanan Hall. (University Archives, Iowa State University)