Lincoln Highway: Highway Commission

Iowa Highway Commission Building

This is the new Iowa Highway Commission Building in 1924.  Today this is the headquarters of the Iowa Department of Transportation. (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)

Tom MacDonald, Iowa State College class of 1904, was appointed that same year as the first chief engineer of the new Iowa Highway Commission.  He left Ames in 1919 to become the first chief of the U. S. Bureau of Public Roads in Washington, D.C., a position he held luntil 1953.  MacDonald was the chief architect for the interstate highway system.

photo ca. 1930
(Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)

This photo shows new administration wing (the white building) when it was dedicated in 1972. Lincoln Way is visible at the lower right.  The King's Food Host sign can also be spotted.  (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)