Champlin's livery business was located on the south side of Boone Street (later Lincoln Way) east of Welch Avenue. The original wood frame Champlin Store (grocery) is seen at the extreme left just east of where the brick Champlin Building was to be constructed. The wagon in center foreground is the store's delivery wagon. To the north can be seen Marston Water Tower, Alumni Hall, and Central Hall (known later as Beardshear). This was before Lake LaVerne was constructed.
This 1907 photo likewise looks north across Boone Street (Lincoln Way) towards Alumni Hall and Central Hall from what was to become the middle of the 2400 block of Lincoln Way. Some of the Champlin livery equipment can be seen in the foreground. In this image, Boone Street is located between the telephone pole and the fence. The old Chemistry Hall building (burned in 1913) is just visible at the upper left.
This 1914 postcard photo of the College Creek Bridge just north of Welch Avenue catches a glimpse of the Champlin Livery barn and the west portion of the Champlin Block extending to Stanton Avenue. The huge barn (24 feet to the eaves and 31 feet to the apex) was newly constructed between 1911 and 1914 and replaced two smaller livery outbuildings closer to Welch Avenue.
This photo of Ada and Mabel Champlin faces east with Lincoln Way visible at left. The telephone pole has the red, white and blue identifying stripes signifying the Lincoln Highway. The women are standing in front of the brick Champlin Building at the Welch intersection. The front portion of the Champlin Livery barn can be seen in the center background. The wood structure between the buildings is the former Champlin Grocery building barely visible in the top photo.
This 1919 Plat Map of Washington Township shows the Champlin farm, located several miles
south of campus where A.L. Champlin raised Percheron horses and other stock.
The Champlin Farm stock barn
This Champlin Percheron is posed for a photo while standing on what would later be known as the Lincoln Highway. In the background one can spot Alumni Hall (left) and the Stanton House (later known as The Maples or Music Hall). College Creek can be seen where later Lake LaVerne would be constructed.
Another Champlin buggy is displayed next to the dirt Lincoln Highway with the Iowa State College campus visible behind. The top of the ISC original powerplant smokestack and Marston Water Tower can be seen behind the trees towards the right.