Briley's Grocery was west of Iowa Agricultural College at 247 Pike Street. Pike street was later called Lincoln Way North or Sheldon Avenue. (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)
Private Collection of Margaret Elbert
Briley's truck delivering groceries in Campustown in 1916 (Farwell T. Brown Photographic Archive)
For forty years the Briley building on the west side of Sheldon, at the curve leading to Oakland, has weathered storms, fires and other hazards, but it can't withstand the razing operations it is now undergoing. However, before it is torn down, engineering and art students of Iowa State College are going to have their conception of the structure on paper, some of whom are shown at work in the above picture. At one time the building housed a grocery, meatmarket and bakery, but was abandoned in 1928 except for a short period in which students used it as a "home." It long has been a subject for art students, and now they are doing their last bit of drawing and painting of this landmark.